Monday, August 9, 2010

Lick the Salt: Corn and Pesto Ravioli with Parmesan Butter Sauce

I get teased all the time by friends because I don’t shop and cook like they do. What can I say, I’m just weird. I know that most people utilize processed foods for convenience sake, I just don’t happen to be one of them. Seriously, I think the only processed foods I buy on a regular basis are peanut butter and dry pasta (do dried cranberries count? If so, add them to the list). I know there is a cadre of passionate healthy-eaters who bemoan the evils of processed food. I couldn’t give a flip about that, I just don’t think it tastes all that good.

I recently picked up some prepackaged fresh pasta and sauce for the first time in ages. It wasn’t until then that I realized exactly how spoiled I have become. While the mass-produced stuff was OK, I just couldn’t get past the amount of salt that was in it. It didn’t taste salty when I ate it, but I bet I drank 3 gallons of water the rest of the night and still woke up the next morning with cotton mouth. I bet if you had tapped my vein, you could have used it to brine pickles. No offense, but I’m not sure how anyone can eat that kind of processed stuff all the time and not suffer some consequences.

My recent experience sent me back to homemade. There’s really no big trick to making fresh pasta – and it impresses the heck out of people when you tell them it’s homemade. If you’ve got the right equipment, you might have 15 or 20 minutes of active working time in it. And if you don’t have the right equipment, then you might spend twice that much time. I still think it’s pretty easy – and foolproof.

I don’t know where I picked up this basic pasta dough recipe – it isn’t mine, but I use it all the time. I also substitute some whole wheat flour on occasion (about 40% of the total) to give it a little more bite. I happen to like the texture of whole wheat pasta. I know some people don’t. Because this recipe is ravioli, I didn’t use any whole wheat flour – I figured the ravioli was chewy enough without it.

And it seems like the local corn season has hit its peak, so I want to get a little more out of it before it completely fizzles out. I figured some fresh corn inside the ravioli might be fun, so in it went. And whenever I’m doing Italian food and corn, I automatically think of pesto. But just throwing pesto sauce on the ravioli is too easy, so I decided to put it on the inside instead. (Besides, I treat fresh pesto like gold – if it goes inside, I’ll use less. That way, it will last longer.)

Since the pesto went inside, I wanted something that would be both good with the corn and simple as well. How much simpler (and better with corn) can you get than butter and parmesan cheese? (Remember how I was complaining about too much salt? You would think I’d have some issues with too much fat too, but I don’t. Go figure.)

The nice part of this is that you can make the ravioli ahead of time and just stash them in the fridge. Then at dinnertime, the whole dish comes together in just a few minutes. It’s great to entertain with – you can actually spend some time with your friends when they come over.

So throw together your own fresh pasta and leave the excess salt where it ought to be – on the rim of a margarita glass.

Recipe: Corn and Pesto Ravioli with Parmesan Butter Sauce

13 comments:

  1. I agree...the amount of salt in processed foods is unconscionable! That goes double for restraunt food as well. The heart association claims that the average American eats 3-5 times the recommeded amount of sodium each and every day. That is scary business! You are right to believe that eating this way bears grave consequences. It is estimated that as much as 70 (something) percent of people have salt sensitive blood pressure and just don't know it. That is whether you are hypertensive or not. Anyway...all that aside, this is a lovely dish. I like the idea of corn and pesto together. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't agree with you more...though I do buy dried pasta - I still haven't figured out the proper way to make it! This parmesan butter thing you got going...is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just recently made fresh pasta, and I totally agree with you! I just had a rolling pin, and you're right, it didn't take me too long at all.
    Salt does belong with margaritas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have inspired me! I used to make my own pasta years before I had kids... then... well, I just didn't do it any more. I'm going to give it a shot again! I try to watch the salt intake as well and am always amazed at how much is included in packaged foods. Luckily, my kids are becoming label readers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks absolutely to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't buy processed food either...Actually our goal is to buy some land and grow and raise whatever we can. There is just something so much better about cooking from scratch. Beautiful ravioli!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kudos to you! We're feeling so much more healthy now that I'm making so many more home cooked foods. I can't imagine buying jarred pasta sauce either. I have to admit, I've not ever made my own pasta, but I guess I need to try at some point. Thanks for the prodding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are not the only one who doesn't eat processed foods :-) ...thankfully. We basically make everything from stocks to dressings to butter. It is fun and so healthy and easy to control what goes into your body!

    Good job maintaining your standards - you are doing the right thing for your body and it seems like you are having lots of fun too along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job, that looks amazing!!! Yum!!! Wish I made fresh pasta more often, it's so much easier and tastier than people think!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to try this...and I've never made my own pasta before!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Must try to make my own pasta one day! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete