Saturday, August 13, 2011

Geocache This: Grilled Eggplant Sandwich with Creamy Mushroom Spread


I’ve mentioned before that I am the resident caterer for my group of friends. I’ve done birthday parties, anniversary parties, surprise birthday parties, more birthday parties, but this one was a first – my friend, Robin, called up and asked me to cater her geocache party.

If you knew Robin, you’d know that this is not a normal request. I didn’t even know what geocaching was (and after a trip to Wikipedia, I’m still not sure I understand it). As far as I can tell, you run around pretending to be a cyber-era Jack Sparrow looking for buried treasure, using your smart phone to find specific coordinates. (I know, sounds like oodles of fun, huh?) I still haven’t gone beyond making calls with my cell phone, and now I find out that you can hunt for the wreck of the Queen Anne’s Revenge while playing Angry Birds at the same time. READ MORE

10 comments:

  1. We have geocached with our nephews and had a blast (we have even done it without the kiddos). Now that it is not 100+ degrees, perhaps I can start thinking about picnics and outdoor activities again. And, when I do, I am going to try these sandwiches for whatever outing we do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The geocached thing sounds like fun (kinda), but like you, I'm still the proud owner of a flip phone that doesn't do much more than dial a phone number. I'm not a vegetarian, but I'd dig into that sandwich in a heartbeat. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sandwich looks amazing! My brother and nephews geocache...but I have never gotten into it. They have a blast though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done geocaching before and it's fun, but I'd take a sandwich like that over a geocache hunt any day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many things could possibly go wrong geocaching an engagement ring? It sounds like the tagline for next summer's romantic comedy. :D

    Great sandwiches, but if all else failed you could have told them you geocached the catering. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geocache her diamond ring? How clever! I have never been geocaching....sounds like fun though! Those eggplant sandwiches look delicious...mushroom spread? Love it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. now that's a seriously great looking sandwich! I love the mushroom spread! I think my wife has friends who Geocache, she says its great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post...loved it. Fabulous looking sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is sooo cute! And I mean it! My husband and kids like to geocache... not me as there are plenty of times when you just spin around in circles looking for what you can't find! Anyhoo... your spread looks great - love the picnic theme - super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thx for connecting with me on foodbuzz. I just subscribed to your blog feed and can't wait to see what your next post will be!

    ReplyDelete