Thursday, May 6, 2010

Cocktails for Dessert: Mango Margarita Sorbet

There’s nothing like an after-dinner cocktail. And there’s nothing like dessert. What’s the best of both worlds? Combining cocktails and dessert into one great offering.

Mangoes were on sale last week, and I had picked up a few without knowing what I was going to do with them. I had thought about making some frozen cocktails, but I was also having trouble coming up with a dessert for a casual dinner party last weekend. That’s how I decided to combine the two into Mango Margarita Sorbet.

If you don’t own an ice cream maker, I think you should. I use mine all the time. I don’t think I’ve actually bought ice cream in years. If it’s too much of an investment to purchase a new one, check out Craigslist or E-bay to see if you can find a deal - and use it. There is nothing like homemade ice cream and sorbet. And they are easy to make. It takes 10 or 15 minutes of active preparation, then just some waiting.

The mango sorbet is quite refreshing. As you can see from the picture, I served it with a couple of orange shortbread cookie sticks (that need a little more work before sharing the recipe). If you’re concerned about having a family-friendly dessert, just omit the tequila and substitute orange juice for the orange liqueur. The alcohol keeps the sorbet from freezing too hard, so the absence of it will probably make the sorbet freeze a little harder.

I also didn’t have any limes, or I would have served the sorbet with a wedge that could be squeezed over the top before eating. The acid in the lime juice would cut through a little of the sweetness of the sorbet and round out the flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment