Thursday, April 29, 2010

Last Minute Appetizer Panic Allayed with Gorgonzola Egg Spread

It was Easter Sunday, and friends were coming for dinner. Unfortunately, I neglected to plan an appetizer. I’m not sure how either – I’m usually pretty on top of these kinds of things (Oh, who are we kidding? I’m completely anal retentive when it comes to menu planning). So as the leg of lamb roasted away in the oven, I scurried around the kitchen in an attempt to come up with something to serve with a pre-dinner glass of wine.

The obvious (and sadly clichéd) thing to make for Easter appetizers would be some sort of deviled eggs, but of course I didn’t. Why? Because first, it’s cliché. Second, it’s boring. Third, because I’m not a huge fan of deviled eggs. But eggs do go along with the traditions of Easter: rebirth, spring, renewal. And I had eggs. And some cheese. And pita bread. And not much else to work with. So, instead I came up with this Gorgonzola Egg Spread with Pita Sticks.

I must say that even I was impressed by how it went over. It just goes to show you: panic and ingenuity can sometimes win over careful preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment