Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Wine Find

My friends know that I am not a real wine aficionado, but I know what I like. I tend to like big, bold reds that have a real earthy quality to them – lots of smoke and chocolate and tobacco notes are what I gravitate towards – my favorite varieties being Malbec, Shiraz/Syrah, and Pinot Noir.

Turns out that not being a wine snob is a positive thing when you’re on a budget: I’m not afraid to try really cheap wines. Most of the time, I get exactly what I expect – fairly bad, raw stuff whose only good quality is that you taste it less on the second or third glass. But once in a while I come across something that’s acceptable. I really lucked out this time. Not only is this one acceptable, it’s actually good. And only $4.75 a bottle at my local Albertsons!

It’s a 2009 Pinot Noir from Crane Lake, a California vintner. (I just did a quick Google search, and looks like you can find it all over the place.) It has a wonderful, smooth texture and finishes pretty well (not that acidic after-burn you find in most cheap wines). Goes great with the more robust meals I cook.

If you find something that’s both a steal and tastes great, let me know: I’d love to try it out.

I should point out that I intend to post an entry like this any time that I come a cross a really great find. It’s not an advertising ploy – I’ve never met (or talked to) the Crane Lake people, their distributor, or the Albertsons people. Any advertising that I do will be more overt – ads down the side and such – you will definitely be able to tell the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment